The Kings Elm Public House
The King’s Elm Inn was located on High Street, Compton Chamberlayne, Wiltshire. The Kelly’s Directory for 1898 records Arthur George Roberts of King’s Elm Public House, Compton Chamberlayne.
The 1901 England Census records Arthur G. Roberts, aged 37, as the Innkeeper at the King’s Elm Inn. He is listed with his wife Eliza Roberts, aged 36 & their 2 children – Stephen J. Roberts, aged 5 & Sidney H. Roberts, aged under 1 month. Also listed in the household at the King’s Elm Inn – Emily Toomer (aged 18, mother’s help), Annie M. Jelliffe (aged 15, Nurse) & 3 Boarders – all Carters on a Farm – Luke Fry (aged 36), Edward Watts (aged 39) & Tom Player (aged 35).
The 1911 England Census records Frederick Henry Cole, aged 48, as a Publican & Farmer at the King’s Elm, Compton Chamberlayne. Frederick is listed with his wife – Kate Mary Cole (aged 50) & their 2 children – Arthur Cole (aged 21, employed at Home) & Florence Cole (aged 19). The King’s Elm, according to this Census has 8 rooms.
The Kelly’s Directory for 1911 records Frederick Henry Cole as a Beer Retailer at King’s Elm, Compton Chamberlayne.
The 1915 &1920 Kelly’s Directory lists Valentine John Lovell as Beer Retailer at King’s Elm, Compton Chamberlayne.
The 1927 Kelly’s Directory lists Jn. Ransley as Beer Retailer at King’s Elm, Compton Chamberlayne.
The 1939 Kelly’s Directory & 1939 Directory of Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of Wiltshire lists King’s Elm – Jn. Ransley of Compton Chamberlayne, Salisbury. The building formerly known as the King’s Elm Inn is a Grade II listed building. It was listed on 17th December, 1986 and is described as: Detached house. Early C19. Dressed limestone, hipped Welsh slate roof, brick stacks. Two – storey, 3 – window. Central half – glazed door with gabled hood, 16 – pane sash either side. First floor has three 16 – pane sashes. Deep eaves. Left return has C20 door and casement. Right return has sash. Rear has sashes. Interior not accessible at time of survey (April 1986). (British Listed Buildings)
The King’s Elm Inn closed in 1953. It is now a private house.